Jumilla’s extraordinary vine-growing legacy
ARID EARTH OFFERING UP BEGUILING FLAVOURS
We are an ancient wine-growing region with diverse microclimates and landscapes, and altitudes reaching up to 1,000m. Our identity is forged by our emblematic grape, Monastrell, which miraculously thrives in near-desert like conditions to produce wines with vibrant fruit flavour and beguiling aromas reminiscent of the wild flowers growing in the nearby hills.
A 2,500 year-old history of vines
Situated in the south-east of Spain, the Jumilla wine region stretches across two of Spain’s southern provinces: Castilla-La Mancha, in which 60% of the vines are planted, and Murcia. Covering a total of 22,400 hectares (about 55,000 acres), the appellation is similar in size to Ribera del Duero.
Steeped in history and tradition, Jumilla vine-growing dates back over 2,500 years, as evidenced by recently discovered archaeological remains. Among the discoveries was an item of incalculable value -a pair of 4th century BC earrings crafted in the shape of grape bunches.
The official Jumilla DOP (Protected Designation of Origin), one of the oldest in Spain, was set up in 1966.
The Jumilla Wine Council
The Consejo Regulador DOP Jumilla (Jumilla Wine Council) is the official body that administers the appellation’s rules and regulations, supervises its vine-growers, wineries and cooperatives and helps promote their wines. All the wineries registered in the Jumilla appellation must meet the strict conditions set out by the body, while the wines produced must fulfil stringent criteria of origin and quality in order to carry the DOP Jumilla label on their bottle.
Jumilla facts and figures
Some 1,600 vine growers and 42 wineries today make up the Jumilla Protected Designation of Origin, which covers around 22,500 hectares (55,575 acres) of vines, 40% of which are located in the municipality of Jumilla itself.
Vineyard surface area
The distribution of the vineyard area registered in the DOP Jumilla in 2021 is detailed below, showing the various municipalities it encompasses and totalling approximately 22,500 hectares of vines.
40% is located within the municipal boundaries of Jumilla, while the remaining 60% is spread across various municipalities within the province of Albacete.
During the 2020/2021 campaign, a total of 30,002,029 bottles were sold, with 29% of these going to the domestic market and 71% abroad.